Over 130 years ago, the founders of the College Club – the organization that would become AAUW Honolulu – wrote that their founding principle was to promote “the higher ideals of education among women”. Women were a rarity in undergraduate classes, and even more so in graduate-level courses.
AAUW Honolulu continues that mandate made in 1881. We offered over $120,000 in scholarships to deserving female college students in the 2018-2019 academic year.
While women in the 21st century are attending college and receiving undergraduate and graduate degrees in record numbers, they are still held back by the gender pay gap. They may encounter it when they work to pay for college, or they may encounter it when they graduate and settle in their first jobs.
AAUW’s research found that while women now make up a majority of the college population, they also take out more debt than men. The academic scholarship provided by AAUW Honolulu helps women in college graduate with less or no debt.
How to Apply For 2020 – 2021 Academic Scholarships:
- Graduate Student Scholarships
Hawaii Community Foundation (HCF)
Applications open Nov. 15, 2019 and closes Jan. 31, 2020
- Undergraduate Student Scholarships
Applications open Jan. 6, 2020 and closes Feb. 21, 2020
- Students applying to the Hawaii Community Foundation (HCF) must be enrolled in a graduate program
- Students applying to Palama Settlement must be a sophomore, junior or seniors enrolled in an undergraduate program
- Be a resident of the State of Hawaii
- Demonstrate financial need
- Be an undergraduate or a graduate student at a college or university located in the State of Hawaii
- Grade Point Average (GPA) 3.0 or above
- Female student